We are aware of posts on social media telling patients to ask for rescue packs.
The advice from the prescribing team is that patients who have not previously had rescue packs should not have them issued for the following reasons:
- In patients with COVID – 19 infection we are not aware of any evidence of benefit from early prescription of steroids
- As COVID – 19 is a virus, antibiotics will not be of any benefit.
- GP practices and pharmacies are already working at capacity, additional requests for prescriptions for the ‘worried well’ cannot be supported.
- We need to protect the medicines supply chain.
- The best way for ‘at risk’ patients to protect themselves is to self – isolate as per government guidelines.
- Patients who develop severe symptoms should use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service.
If you are concerned that the symptoms regarding your asthma or COPD are worsening, please contact the surgery for a telephone consultation.