Show I’ve Been off work? / I am Fit for work? (Sick Notes)



Please see the Government advice on providing proof of coronavirus absence from work


Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven consecutive days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website. If your employer asks for a doctor’s sick note during the first seven days of illness, you or your employer will be required to pay for this privately.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work – ’Fit Note’

The ‘fit note’ was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer’s support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

If you have been unwell for more than seven days, you can contact your doctor to discuss your fitness for work. These statements can be backdated up to 8 weeks so are not an urgent matter and therefore we ask you do not attend our Same Day Service solely to obtain a sick note.

For more information see the Returning to Work section on the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced)

It is a common myth that employees are required to be ‘signed back to work’. This is only the case in a number of specific occupations, eg the DVLA form D4 for LGV/PCV drivers. If an employer feels they require a doctor’s note advising their employee is ‘fit to work’, this would need to be paid for privately.

If you need a fitness for work certificate, please complete a Klinik online consultation from our home page.

From 1 July 2022 the DWP amended legislation to enable advanced nurses, occupational therapists, pharmacists and physiotherapists to certify fit notes.

Alternatively you can download our request form here, complete it and post or hand it in to one of surgeries.